August 26, 2015

Transition: The good, the bad and the ugly

Wow, moving overseas is a process! I feel like it’s never ending, this whole transition thing. The whole process started 2 months ago and the end is still a good 2-3 weeks away. It has been fun, exciting, full of adventure and it has also been dang hard! I’m shocked at how quickly we’ve adjusted to this new country and how much we already love it and feel like we are home. Yet, at the same time we are stressed and anxious for something closer to normal life. Now I understand why people say it’s like Christmas when they get their household goods after moving overseas. Its all I can think about lately!

 

As usual, Aidan has shown signs of stress during this transition. He did great the first month and a half but just a couple weeks ago he started having a tick. It’s always something different and this time around it almost sounds like a puppy whimper in his throat. At first it drove me crazy and I was constantly getting on to him and telling him to stop. I quickly noticed that my constant nagging was causing him more stress and he was feeling frustrated with himself that he couldn’t stop. I felt horrible and stopped bugging him. Not gonna lie, it drove me up the wall but the past couple of days he’s gotten a little better. He is always the one that struggles the most with change and his stress always presents itself as a tick. My poor boy.

We bought our cars! We got a grey Mazda MPV and a Mazda Demio.

IMG_0364

I finally learned to drive on the wrong side of the car and road!

My first time driving!

IMG_0203 IMG_0204

 

It’s not nearly as bad as I thought it was going to be. It’s weird at first but quickly becomes natural. We had to take our van in to get cleaned last week so I was carless and completely losing my mind. We’ve had about all we can take of being stuck inside with none of our stuff. School doesn’t start until August 31st here and we are all counting down the days. I know you aren’t supposed to say “I’ll be happy when……” BUT we will all be sooooo much happier when we have something a little bit closer to a normal life and don’t have to spend so much time stuck inside.

We have ventured out a couple of times on the weekend. We hit up the new mall and it was incredible! It has like 5 levels. We just had enough time to quickly walk through the first level and we couldn’t get over this awesome bakery/grocery store. We each got a treat to eat there. So excited to go back!

IMG_0337

IMG_0334IMG_0336

 IMG_0333

IMG_0335

On our way out I saw the store I’ve been dreaming of going to since I found out we were going to Japan.

IMG_0339

Oh yes, it finally happened. Excited for the many hours I’m going to spend there during the next 3 years!

My first outing with just me and the kids was to take Rich his lunch at work. Not super exciting but it was cool to see the pharmacy and meet the people he works with. The pharmacy seemed so quiet and empty compared to Hill where there were so many people always running around busy. There were only 3 people working including Rich! He likes it though and is looking forward to implementing some of the things he learned at Hill.

I took a picture of the Shisa outside of the med group building.

IMG_0285 IMG_0284

These are all over Okinawa outside of almost every single business and home. It’s Okinawan tradition that one of the Shisa has an open mouth to ward off evil spirits and the other has a closed mouth to keep good spirits in. There are so many different kinds of Shisa, these ones are kind of creepy looking.

Other than the occassional escape from the house here and there we’ve been doing a lot of this-

IMG_0269

all day long.

On an off day I did dress Eva in an outfit that Maya wore when she was her age and it blew me away how much they look alike!

IMG_0283

Eva has a new favorite place to eat.

VIDEO

Rich and Aidan are soooo into learning Japanese. Rich studies every night and Aidan loves to be taught by daddy.

VIDEO

So, all in all it’s been pretty good…rough but good. Happy to be here but I’m sure we’ll all be even happier when our stuff is here with us:D

1 comments:

Marianne said...

Love your posts...keep 'em coming! Glad you survived the typhoon! Japan is so clean, isn't it! The mall looked beautiful! School starts next Monday! YAY! Will you get Labor Day off? Love seeing that Aidan is learning Japanese...Aidan is with dad, Eva is in the cupboard, where are the other girls?

Post a Comment

Drop me a line!

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed