August 30, 2008

Bound to happen!

They told me in the hospital that this would happen at least once. Since a year had passed without incident, I thought I was in the clear. Apparently I was wrong. This morning he did it. He pulled his trach out!! I heard him wake up at around 7 am and almost immediately I heard him making a funny sound. I rolled over to Rich and I said, "Doesn't he sound funny?" Of course Rich just kinda grunted and said, "Humf". I waited just a little bit longer and I noticed he was kind of gasping for air a little bit. I shook Rich and told him to go and get him because he is making funny sounds. He laid him next to me and I just thought he had a mucus plug because he was breathing fine but he was making normal sounds as if he had his speaking valve on. That is when I noticed it. The part of the trach that is supposed to be in his trachea was sticking out!!! I freaked out! Then I realized that he had been breathing and making sound for the past minute or two without the trach and I calmed down a little. I still undid his trach tie and put the trach back in but it was so "exciting" that he did fine without the trach. I am grateful that he pulled it out when I was paying attention and could react quickly. It makes me nervous now that he is going to pull it out when I put him in his room to take a nap. I think the reason it happened is because I left his trach tie too loose. I will be sure not to make that mistake again.

2 comments:

Marianne said...

I think Aidan was just trying to let you know he was ready to breathe on his own! So glad to hear the Dr. said Aidan is almost ready to say goodbye to his little necklace/trach..it will be a happy day!

nbarnes2 said...

i dont understand what it is the aiden has but i guess im happy that it turned out ok and by the way i love the decor to the blog. it may not be new but i just noticed it and love it!

Post a Comment

Drop me a line!

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed