December 1, 2008

pH Probe...blah

Fhew! Thank goodness for the end of a tough day! Today Aidan had to get the pH probe put in. I explained in an earlier post that the last pH probe didn't work the first time it was done so we had to do it all over again. For those of you who missed that post a pH probe is a wire that is put in through the nose, goes down the throat and into the stomach. The other end is connected to a monitor that records the pH in his stomach so that we can know if he has any acid reflux. He has to have it in for 24 hours. This is a requirement before he can get the trach out on THURSDAY!! We are so crazy excited. It stinks that he's had to go through so much to get to this point but it is almost over. I just want to warn you that there are a lot of pictures coming up...

Right after the probe was put in :(

It was really sad to watch.


After all of that he still wanted to give me kisses. Sweet boy.

Since the monitor wasn't designed for him to be able to carry it around I had to put the pack-n-play in the living room. He was going to have to stay in it most of the day :(

I thought maybe it wouldn't be so bad if I gave him toys and put on some cartoons but after about 30 minutes I decided there was no way I was going make him stay in the pack-n-play.

So I started trying to think of a way to make it possible for him to carry the monitor around while he played. This was my first attempt which failed miserably. My second attempt was putting it in a boppy case, compliments of my sister-in-law Rebecca, and tying it across his shoulder. Failed. I tried like 2 other things after that. Failed.


Finally I did it! I got a pair of pajamas and put the monitor in them and buttoned it up. I tied the legs to the arms and made him a little backpack! It worked perfectly! He crawled all over the place with that thing!


He didn't mind it one bit. I'm sure there was a simpler and better way to do this but what can I say. You work with what you've got. We are learning to make lemonade when we're handed lemons. So here is the update: Tomorrow morning the pH probe comes out. We get the reflux results on Wednesday and the trach comes out on Thursday!!!!!!

Just throwing in this cute pic of Maya. This is what she did while I was trying to figure out what to do about the monitor. She is such an amazing baby.


2 comments:

Schlofmans said...

You know...you are an amazing mom and you know the Lord sent Aidan to you because He knew you would try so hard to help him. So hang in there and know that we are praying for you. As for the prego pictures, there will be some poosted soon. :)

Jeanne said...

How exciting for your family! Oh, and the probe problem...you are brilliant!!!

Nice lemonaide

Post a Comment

Drop me a line!

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed