November 6, 2015

Aidan Changes

Aidan’s teacher sent out an e-mail asking for parents to volunteer in the classroom. I was so excited because, for the first time ever, I am finally in a situation where I can do something like this! I worked out a weekly swap with my friend, Emily, and signed right up for Tuesdays from 10-11:30. Tuesday came and I dropped Eva off. This is what was taking place while I was helping out in Aidan’s class.

EVA BEING BRAINWASHED

Emily’s husband is hilarious!

Back to my experience volunteering in Aidan’s class…it was AWESOME! I loved it so much! The kids were so sweet and excited that I was there. I basically just walked around and made sure they were on task while going to various “centers” in the classroom. I would help them on worksheets and in their reading group. It was so fun to see Aidan in a school setting and see how he was doing as far as being a student was concerned. School is something that has always been such a big stressor for us with Aidan. He had some behavioral problems and learning delays that were a big concern for us and for his teachers. Last year, we made the decision to have him repeat 1st grade. We had to fight against his first 1st grade teacher and the district in order to make this happen but we did it because we knew that it was what he needed and the only way he would be able to catch-up and excel. It was THE BEST decision we have ever made in regards to Aidan’s education. For the first time he thrived in school and gained so much confidence and self-esteem that we were never able to give him no matter how hard we tried.

He was supposed to do crazy eyes with me…I was also doing tired with bags under my eyes, eyes. Haha!

IMG_0869

Spending that hour and 1/2 in Aidan’s classroom made my heart so happy! My little boy, who we were always so worried about, was not just getting by but he was excelling! He is one of the better readers in his class and is so well behaved and on task. That extra year in 1st grade changed his future. I am so grateful that we fought for him even when faced with adversity from the “professionals”. When it comes to our kids Rich and I are the professionals and I’m so grateful for the confirmation that I received on Tuesday.

2 comments:

Marianne said...

I am so thrilled Aidan is doing so well...yes, you made a wise decision! Maybe you will want to be a teacher someday like so many of our family! I love seeing kids learn and interact with each other! It is especially fun to see your own kids/grandkids. I was able to spend a few hours with Will's class and I loved it! Keep up the good work, Aidan!

Brown's said...

You are soooo good at tired bags under eyes, eyes.

Post a Comment

Drop me a line!

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed