November 3, 2015

Everyday Okinawa

It’s funny that we’ve only been here for a couple of months but Okinawa life is already feeling like the norm to me. I have to remind myself that every single thing about being here was so foreign to me and that I need to document it all because, in a few years, when we leave this beautiful place, all we will have is our blogged memories.

 

Driving on the wrong side of the road feels so right now. It’s not weird any more and I no longer accidentally turn on my windshield wipers instead of my turn signal. I’m beginning to miss the convenience of running to Joann’s to grab any kind of crafting supplies I need. I think I could find anything I would need on island but it’s not all in one convenient place. If I need any kind of paint for small crafts I need to go to Makemon which is like our Home Depot.

Us on a quick trip to Makemon. We got hungry so we grabbed a quick bite at the Blue Seal there. Btw, Blue Seal is AMAZING! More on that later.

IMG_0822

You never need to bring your own stroller anywhere in Okinawa. Everywhere you go they have these convenient things available for free!

IMG_0820

Daiso has a few random crafting items and there is a fabric store called House of 66 cents that has tons of fabric.

IMG_0834

I’m gonna be completely random now, there are tons of Indian restaurants and they are all delicious! Can’t remember what this one was called but this was on Rich’s birthday! My old man is 38!

IMG_0759-1

I took this picture just to show their drink sizes out here. You can’t really tell how small it is but it is smaller than a small drink in America. I remember when we first ordered a coke we laughed because it felt like it was one sip.

IMG_0758

No pumpkin patch for us this yearSad smile Instead, we got our pumpkins from the commissary…just not the same.

IMG_0752

You know what though, we can do without a pumpkin patch for a few years. It seems like a fair trade-off to be able to live in such an awesome place.

American Village, just down the street from the base. It has tons of restaurants, shopping and arcades.

IMG_0697

IMG_0692IMG_0693IMG_0694

On to produce here. The carrots are gigantic!

IMG_0756

There are lots of farmers markets on the island. I decided to venture out last Saturday in search of what American’s call the “banana stand”. They call it that because you can get big bunches of bananas there. So, my neighbor vaguely described to me how to get there and for some reason I thought that I would just run right into it. Not so. When I finally did find it I was reminded that I am very much in a foreign country. This was the sign for it.

IMG_0856

The produce was very affordable though!

IMG_0862

IMG_0860

IMG_0861

This made me laugh.

IMG_0859

We are so enjoying this adventure and doing our best to explore and take advantage of all the island has to offer.

4 comments:

Marianne said...

Did you mean to say Rich is only 28? or was that a mistake? or a compliment? I'm so glad you are back to blogging. I love the pictures! GIANT carrots! Eva Marianne is sure getting tall! Miss ya'll! When does Rich come?

Jess said...

Oh my gosh, Mom, thanks for catching that! Not sure how that happened but no, I'm the one that is 28, lol!

Brown's said...

Haha love it! Youre so funny. I miss you. Wish I was there with you. Oh look, im on your blog!!!

Amy said...

Ahhh I miss Japan!! It makes me so happy you are getting to experience its wonderfulness!!

Post a Comment

Drop me a line!

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed