September 24, 2010

Aidan’s surgery result

It’s been 1 weeks since Aidan’s surgery to repair his g-tube hole and he is doing GREAT! We went in last friday morning at 8am and waited for 3 hours.

P1020790 P1020786 P1020791

He went in at 11am and the surgery took about an hour and a half. It was a lot longer than I had expected. I was so anxious for them to call me back to the recovery room to see him. When they did he was just coming out of the anesthesia and that is when it got rough. They were holding oxygen up to his face and he was really struggling to breathe. I tried to stay pretty calm until the doctor started showing concern. She said to one of the nurses that she was worried that because of his vocal cord paralysis history that being intubated for the surgery may have damaged his cords again. There was even talk of admitting him to the Pediatric ICU.  That is when I really started to panic. All of these horrible thoughts started flooding my mind. What if he had to get a trach again? Why didn’t I think about the fact that they would be intubating him? I was so mad at myself and mad at them for not thinking of the risk.

 

For 2 hours Aidan stuggled to breathe. He would scream and it sounded like a whisper. It took me back to when he was a baby before he got the trach. They would extubate him to see if he could breathe on his own. He would struggle to suck in air and the sound he would make just broke my heart. For hours he would work for every breath. I would just sit there watching him, crying. Until finally they would intubate him again because he just couldn’t do it anymore. I went through the same thing with Arabella. It is an incredibly difficult thing to see your baby fight to breathe and here I was watching him go through the same thing again. I was a MESS! I tried not to cry but I couldn’t hold it in. I burst out crying while lying in his bed holding him with one arm and holding oxygen to his face with the other. He finally calmed down and fell asleep. After 1 hour he was able to breathe without the oxygen and maintain an oxygen saturation of 93-95%. After 2 hours his oxygen saturation was at a 97%. It improved with time and the struggle ended. I can’t describe the RELIEF I felt. I was the happiest person on earth.

 

Then there was the recovery from the surgery. 3 days in the hospital. Bleh!

P1020795 P1020796

He couldn’t drink anything the first 2 days but he really didn’t seem to mind too much. He slept most of the time. Thank you morphine. The morning of the 3rd day he woke up and the very first thing he said was, “Mommy, I want to play!” He went from morphine to just Tylenol and he only took it 3 times! He’s amazing!

Pics of his first drink in 2 days and then a yummy popsicle.

P1020802 P1020806

He made a full recovery and we were ready to go home sunday night.

My child is naked because he refused to wear the hospital gown. Stinker.

P1020809 P1020817

The surgery didn’t slow him down one bit. He has been running and jumping like nothing happened. Thanks to everybody for the many thoughts and prayers.

1 comments:

Irene said...

Your children are so cute! And Aidan's really big and hansdome! I'm glad everything went finally fine.

Post a Comment

Drop me a line!

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed