April 15, 2017

Easter Miracle

Today, I had an experience that confirmed my testimony that we have a living and loving God who knows us, each one of us. He knows our fears, struggles and needs and He cares.
This morning we took the kids to the “Eggsplosion” Easter egg hunt on base.
 
DSCF3326
 
They set it up to where each age group would get to participate in several egg hunts. We got there in time for the first one for Arabella and Maya, it was chaos!
 
DSCF3330
 
DSCF3331
 
While I was with the two girls, Rich took Aidan to his age group egg hunt and we agreed to meet in this little area by a vending machine afterward. The girls finished and we made our way to our meeting place and the kids cracked open their eggs and ate almost all of their candy while we waited for the next egg hunt.
 
DSCF3334
 
I did sneak a couple pieces of candy which made me thirsty so Rich and I walked over to the vending machine to get a water. While standing in front of the vending machine I turned to ask Rich if he had any money and directly behind him was a little girl, sitting in a stroller, with her 10ish year old sister behind her. What caught my eye about the cute little girl was that she had a trach. I said to Rich, “She has a trach! I want to talk to her mom!” The only person around was her big sister so I approached and asked her if her mom was around. She gave me a blank stare and I realized that she didn’t speak English. I stood around for a few seconds knowing that her mom would surely come around and sure enough, just a few seconds later these 2 Japanese ladies and a Japanese man approached. I asked who was the momma of the little girl and one of the ladies said that she was. I explained to her that I had children that had had a trach and asked what her daughters condition was. She looked rushed, flustered and anxious and her friend who did speak English explained that they were sorry that they couldn’t talk right now because they were having an emergency. She said the little girl was having difficulty breathing and they were looking for the medical tent. The Japanese man that was with them was an event worker and he told them that there was no medical tent. The mother was very panicked. I told her, “I can help you!” I kneeled down to the little girl and knew instantly why her breathing was labored. She had a mucous plug. I told the mom what the problem was and asked if she had saline so that I could moisten the mucous in order to be able to suction the trach to clear her airway. She said she didn’t and had never used it before. I asked her if she had an extra trach so that she could just change her trach out. She explained that she did have an extra trach but she didn’t know how to change it. She would take her daughter in to the hospital to have her trach changed regularly. I told her that I could change it and she looked shocked. I decided that before jumping in to do a trach change I would try to get the plug out. I did a little bit of suctioning and was able to get a little bit out but needed saline. Since the little girls breathing was a little less labored I asked them if they would like to come to my house because I have saline there. She was so grateful and accepted my offer with tears in her eyes. I gave her a hug and told her that everything was going to be ok.
 
Rich stayed behind with the kids and I hopped in their car with them and headed home. During the drive home I learned that the mom’s name is Akane, her daughter with the trach is Alexandra, the older daughter is Angie, she also has a middle child and her English speaking friend is Wakana. Akane was married to an American military man for several years but he left her and his beautiful daughters right after Alexandra was born. Akane’s parents have passed away and she has no family to help her. Her ex-husband has not been present in his daughters lives at all. Akane’s friend, Wakana is married to an American military man in the Navy and they are stationed in California. She was just here visiting and invited Akane to the Easter egg hunt because Akane wishes for her daughters to experience their American culture.
 
When I looked at Akane I could see that she felt she had the weight of the world on her shoulders. She looked exhausted and emotionally drained. I asked her if she got much sleep and she said, via her friend, that usually she did but that Alexandra has been sick the past couple of days and… I finished her sentence…”and she has been up all night suctioning her.” She nodded. My heart broke for this single mother, carrying all of this stress and worry on her own.
 
We got to my house and I got my supplies and got busy. Within a few minutes Alexandra was clear and breathing easy. We talked for a bit, exchanged information and I promised that I would be there to help her whenever she needed me. I told her I would drive down to Naha, to her house to teach her how to change a trach so that she could have the confidence and security of knowing that she could do that for her daughter if there was ever an emergency.
 
We drove back to the event and said our goodbye’s.
Me and Akane
 
IMG_5399
 
Wakana, Me, Akane
 
IMG_5400
 
Akane texted me this video tonight.
 
 
It took me a while to process what had happened. I was, in a way, on an adrenaline high. It wasn’t until I had a quiet moment in the car on our way home that I began to realize the miracle that I had just experienced. At this event where there were HUNDREDS of people, kids running everywhere and loud music, a little girl who had a trach was placed in front of me, likely the one person in the hundreds there that could help her. On an island where there are probably a very small few that have any trach experience, this panicked and desperate mother was led to a trach pro. Yes, after 3 trach kids I have earned the title of trach pro and it is truly an honor.
Few times have I felt closer to my Heavenly Father. He knows and loves Akane. He knows and loves me. He knows and loves YOU! There are no coincidences. He puts people in our path to help us and for us to help them. I KNOW that! My heart is so full and my testimony is stronger than ever. Tomorrow is Easter Sunday and I know this to be true…
 
“He lives to comfort me when faint. He lives to hear my soul’s complaint. He lives to silence all my fears. He lives to wipe away my tears. He lives to calm my troubled heart. He lives all blessings to impart.”
 
I KNOW THAT MY REDEEMER LIVES!

1 comments:

Amber said...

Love this! Just another one of His tender mercies. You go mama!

Post a Comment

Drop me a line!

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed