March 7, 2011

“It’s just stuff”

Two days ago my in-law’s house burned down. Shock. We were in complete and utter shock. Rich’s parents are AMAZING people. I love them so much. To me they are not Rich & Marianne…they are mom & dad and I sincerely love them as if they were my very own parents. While I am incredibly sad to hear that they lost their home and everything in it,  I am grateful that they are both ok. Here is an e-mail that mom sent out about the fire.

We can hardly believe the tragedy that happened yesterday
morning. It was such a shock to come home to a ravaging fire burning
our beautiful and loved home. The roof was engulfed in flames and it
happened so fast. Since we belong to the rural fire dept. it took a
while for the fireman to all get here. They were quick to  contain the
fire but most of the house was destroyed. It was agonizing to watch.
We have been able to sift through ashes to retrieve what we could.
Fortunately the "hot spot" was on the side of the house away from the
master bedroom, and packrat that I am, I had boxes of photos in my
closet. Friends took boxes of wet photos...hundreds of them home to
dry for me. Many can be saved...I love my photos, my memories. Also
when the first person on the scene arrived, even before we got home
(we were gone 1 hour for breakfast at a local restaurant) he thought
we were in the house since our car and truck were in the garage. We
gone with our friends and neighbors, the Robinsons. So this first
responder kicked open the door and found us gone, then gathered up as
many pictures off the walls that he could and ran out...then towed our
car out. We then arrived and had keys to drive our truck out. That was
barely enough time to save the vehicles as shortly after the roof
collapsed. After my temporary hysteria subsided...yes, I freaked out,
then I went numb as I realized there was nothing to do. Rich was
running around getting vehicles out and helping with what needed done.
IMG_3267

(What used to be the entryway)

IMG_3284

(Side view)

IMG_3291

(Back of the house)

     It wasn't long before word got out (a friend put it on
facebook), and caring neighbors, family and friends arrived, giving
hugs and empathy and bringing food and drinks for the firemen. The Red
Cross came with a "comfort kit" and a debit card to buy necessities.
Then later my teacher friends showed up with toiletries, PJ's, socks
and other clothes and generous gift cards!, We felt loved and cared
about. Pizza arrived for dinner last night thanks to another caring
friend. My daughters went to Springfield last night and brought us
both back some needed clothes and items you never think you would
miss...Today a mass of friends and family showed up. It was like grand
central station. People went home after church and came back in their
work clothes and boots, bringing boxes and plastic tubs. They dug
through the rubble and burned cupboards and found dishes and pans,
china and picture albums. As people left they took boxes of stuff home
to wash and clean up as much as was possible. Another friend brought a
Kentucky fried chicken lunch for everyone. We were in shock at the
kind people we know! We shall never forget this day.. We want to thank
ALL of you who have called, left messages, sent prayers and emails,
given cards (and $) clothes and candy, sent over food, and just plain
showed you cared. WE LOVE YOU ALL!! We have and will shed a lot of
tears over this ordeal, but you have comforted us.

IMG_3316

(Dad’s dvd collection)

IMG_3318

(Mom’s piano)

IMG_3324

(Dining room)


     Tomorrow is a new day..the insurance adjuster comes at 10 for 6-8
hours and then comes for another whole day Tuesday. Thank goodness for
insurance...we hope it comes through for us. Tuesday I will return to
school. It is a big week  for me. My class is performing a BIG play
Wed-Fri. for a lot of students and families. Life goes on...and I know
ours will. Again, straight from our hearts we say thanks for caring.
love, marianne, mom  grandma... ps..we are staying at our neighbors
and good  friends,  the Robinsons, till they kick us out or until we
figure out what to do..  Special thanks to my kids...who have rallied
around us...Ryan even came from Kansas City and Richard in Florida is
going to try to save what is on our hard drive which Ryan took out of
our burned computer.(we are mailing it to him tomorrow!) Thanks also
to Rich's sister, Kathy, and bro in law John, who have put in 2 long
days of work..

Can you not just tell how incredible and strong she is from this e-mail? I admire both of them.

A few details:

*Dad’s beloved Kindle burned in the fire:( He was very sad about that but he is really grateful that when the 1st person to arrive on the scene was pulling out photos and things that he thought are important, he grabbed dad’s ipod. I guess everybody knows dad can’t live without his music!

*Mom has had such a great attitude and sense of humor. She is happy that the deer head that dad had mounted in the living room is gone:)

*Casualties of the fire include 2 birds and several goldfish.

I have the most awesome in-law’s in the whole world. Last night Rich was talking to his mom and he asked her, “So mom, after knowing people that have lost their homes to fires and hearing their feelings and experiences what do you feel now that it has happened to you?” She responded, “It’s just stuff.” They still have what matters most which is each other and their family, the rest is “just stuff”. She is inspiring to me. I hope that I can be like her when faced with adversity.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

my parents house burned down 10 days before Christmas last year and when all was said and done, most of the pictures where savable nobody was hurt and we all said the same thing. Its all just stuff. My sister was sleeping at the time (around 10am) and my parents were out doing errands and she had to work at 11 so her alarm went off and thats when she smelled something off, she went to investigate found some white smoke coming from one of the outlets and ran to the neighbors and when she came back (about a span of 1 and a half minutes) the house was engulfed in black smoke and flames. The fire chief later told us and her that its the black smoke that kills people not the flames and had she not been woken up by her alarm there was a 99% chance she would have died in the fire and he's been a fire fighter for 25 years and has seen it all. When faced with what can happen it truly is "just stuff" we can replace our things but we can replace each other. Im glad nobody was home and nobody got hurt, that your kids will be able to keep visiting nana and papa or whatever they call them!

djwillden said...

I can't believe this happened to them! I love Rich's parents so much! Thank you for sharing her letter, they are so smart and awesome! Do you know if there is anything I can do? I can bring them something for you, or whatever I don't know.

Jess said...

Jeanne, they really are amazing. I usually don't have a hard time finding the right words for a post but this one was so hard for me to write! How do you put this into words that make any sense? I couldn't so I used mom's e-mail. They are doing really well. I will be sure to keep you updated:D

M. said...

oh my goodness. I'm so sorry! It's funny, after watching "Up in the Air" with his backpack scenario... i always yern to get rid of anything that can't fit in a backpack. Although, never this way. I'm so, so sorry. His poor parents.

Post a Comment

Drop me a line!

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed