November 10, 2012

Ultra-Running…Again(OV50)

DSC_0404

Yes, he is at it again! This man is absolutely addicted to running. I’m way behind on this post but better late than never. On October 27th, Rich ran in the Ogden Valley 50. His parents were here so it was really great to be able to share that experience with family.

His run started at 5am! The really cool thing about this run is that it literally went past our backyard. So, mom and I got up and waited for him to run by. Gotta love this pic…I took it with my phone. Rich is the white light:)

photo(34)

After we all woke up I fed the kids and then we all loaded into the van to catch up to him and see how he was doing. We caught up to him between mile markers 28 and 29. He was looking and feeling great!

photo(35)

He quickly changed his socks and shoes, downed a fruit cup and was off!

DSC_0406

DSC_0407

We drove ahead a few miles, got some hot chocolate and waited for him to run by. Sure enough, here he came!

DSC_0411

He kept on running while we went back home and relaxed. Poor guy;) Rich was pleasantly surprised by Lt. Col. Cook who is his squadron commander. He heard about Rich’s run and came out to cheer him on! He found him along the path and gave him some encouragement which meant a lot to Rich.

After a few minutes at home I headed back out to get some more pics of Rich on his run. I don’t know the exact mile markers of all of these pictures so I won’t even try to guess. They are, however, in chronological order.

DSC_0414

He was in such high spirits the whole run. How? I have no idea.

DSC_0422

“Get me a salt tab!”

DSC_0427

DSC_0430

DSC_0431

DSC_0435

After tracking him for a few miles, I went back home and waited for him to run by. I took this pic while waiting for him to run down the hill by our house. This is the entrance to my little neighborhood.

DSC_0443

Here he comes!!! Final stretch! 2 miles to go.

DSC_0448

He later told me that running next to this guy helped motivate him to push himself to beat him. He did.

Rich’s parents stood on our back deck and cheered him on as he ran by. Then we piled into the van and zipped past him to meet him at the finish line.

HE DID IT!

DSC_0453

DSC_0461

Exhausted

DSC_0465

Finishing time: 9 hours 35 minutes

Placed 8th! Wow!

DSC_0467

DSC_0468

And then it was massage time…

DSC_0469

He recovered quickly and is, as always, thinking about his next run. So proud of him! Here is a link to see the post of his 100 mile run from Key Largo to Key West.

KEYS100

It’s hard to believe that he just ran his 1st marathon in February and has since run 2 ultra marathons. PROUD PROUD PROUD!

I should probably stop bragging on him, it’s getting a bit much……NAAAAH!  It has been really cool to see him being acknowledged for his running accomplishments even at work! Lt. Col. Cook, who was so cool to come out and cheer him on, sent out this e-mail to his squadron:

Subject: THERE IS A MANIAC AMONG US!


Greetings everyone,
I hope you all had a good weekend.  As we all come back to work after a few
days off, we all come back with different stories and memories of what
occurred over our short two days off.  For one of our own, this weekend
meant accomplishing a truly super-human feat.  Captain Baker, in the
pharmacy, accomplished what few humans have done.and he's back at work like
nothing happened.  He completed a 50-mile ultra marathon in the hills of the
Uinta-Wasatch-Cache Nat'l forest.  For those of you who may not be familiar
with the area, the race started in Mountain Green and travelled up Trapper's
loop going towards Snow Basin Resort (If you've ever driven up there, you
know how hard the first 10 miles would be), all the way around the pineview
reservoir and back up and down trapper's loop to end the race at Mountain
Green.
When you see Captain Baker, please congratulate him on this accomplishment.
The race itself is awe-inspiring, but the self-discipline to train as he
does is truly inspiring.
On a personal note.Thank you Capt Baker for not laughing at me when I
mentioned I was a little sore after I ran 5 miles this weekend.
v/r,
Lt Col Cook

Congrats on all of your accomplishments, Honey! Even though all of your running makes me crazy sometimes, I’m always very, very proud of you. You seriously inspire me! Love you!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Drop me a line!

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed