February 13, 2011

She drove me NUTS!!!

I have made it a priority to make sure that I have some time to myself every day. A lot of my friends are surprised when I tell them that all 3 of my kids take a nap at the same time. I’m surprised that not everybody does this! I have to have a little bit of time to myself, with NO kids, to catch my breath. A 1,2 & 3 year old can really wear you out and a break is the only way I survive. Today, I almost didn’t survive. This little one just about put me over the edge.

DSC_0200DSC_0202

Here she is, putting Macaroni & Cheese in her hair. She decided that she wouldn’t take a nap today. Instead, she would follow me around the house screaming. I wasn’t a very happy camper but I survived! And I still love her.

I do have some good news worth writing about! It’s actually about 2 month old news but I just remembered that I haven’t blogged about it yet. First, some background info. When Arabella was in the NICU, after she got the trach, there was talk of putting in a g-tube. Aidan had a g-tube and it is our biggest regret. We wish we would have fought it. If you want to read about the nightmare that it was you can click HERE, HERE & HERE. Basically, it’s a feeding tube that goes directly into their stomach through their side. Not fun. We just wish we would have made them give him more time before putting in the g-tube. Lucky for us, we had a year & a half of experience before we had decisions to make with Arabella.

The doctor said to us, “We don’t send kids home without a g-tube if they have a trach.” What!?!? Whatever!!!!! There is no reason why they should have to get a g-tube if they can eat on their own. So, we fought it! We insisted that she have a swallow study done which resulted in very positive results. She could swallow fine! Ok, not perfectly fine…her liquids did need to be thickened to the consistency of a thick cream. That is a heck of a lot better than a g-tube though! Wow, this story is actually a lot longer than I thought it was going to be. Oh well. It’s my blog.

Now on to the good news. She no longer needs the thickener!!! She has gained enough control that she can drink liquids without any problem. I am so proud of her. I threw away the bottle of thickener a few weeks ago and let me tell you, it felt good!

DSC_0089

Good bye extremely expensive Simply Thick. You will not be missed.

1 comments:

M. said...

yes, i say again, you really need to have more kids. They're so cute.

Post a Comment

Drop me a line!

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed