May 12, 2012

The Mean Man

I’m a crazy mom ya know. I always think of worse case scenarios and worry about things that could happen to my kids. Maybe it’s natural. I get up in the middle of the night to check on the kids all of the time because I have this fear that somebody is going to take them through their window. We even have an alarm on their window but of course in my crazy “worse case scenario” mind I imagine somebody taking a glass cutter to their window so that the alarm doesn’t go off. I’m nuts, I know!
Ok, so where was I going with all of this. I hate instilling fear in my kids because I don’t want them to have to worry about scary things yet. The other day I had just gotten out of the shower and was completely nakey when there was a knock at the door. What do the kids do? Run to the door to open it! Um, hello! I yelled for them not to open it and they kept running towards the door. I had to use my evil voice for them to listen to me. It was time. I got myself dressed and sat Aidan and Maya down for a little chat. I tried to teach them of the dangers of opening the door for strangers but they weren’t really understanding so I had to take it a step further. I told them that if they open the door without mommy then a mean man can take them away and he will be very mean to them. They had so many questions which I answered in the scariest way I could think of. I felt so guilty but I know that it was the best thing to tell them because it was urgent.
Good news is it worked! The next day there was a knock at the door and both Aidan and Maya took off running to open the door but then Aidan stopped and said, “No Maya! The mean man can get us!”
This morning, Maya was eating her yogurt when she came to me and said, “Look mommy, the mean man!”
DSC_7632
Apparently she imagines the mean man has a mustache. Hahaha!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Drop me a line!

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed