December 3, 2012

Oh, The Happenings.

Geesh! I was in the process of writing a post about how there wasn’t much going on in our lives. I wasn’t complaining, just telling it like it is. I will probably still finish that post but boy have things changed!

So, what’s happened in the past 2 days? Oh, you know, just the usual…Aidan’s two front teeth were smashed in! What a NIGHTMARE! Friday night we were doing our babysitting swap and it was our turn to watch my friends kids. They were having a great time, as usual. We had dinner, they played around, we made chocolate chip cookies and while waiting for them to cool the kids started wrestling in the living room. It was so cute! They were all giggling and having so much fun. Addyson & Ayden are 5 year old twins and Addyson was taking everybody down. She was up against my Aidan and did not hold back. She put her head down and plowed in and in half a second Aidan’s front teeth were knocked in and he had blood gushing out of his mouth. I flew out of my seat (yes, I was sitting there watching and now I feel like a horrible mother) and was instantly by his side and that is where I saw the damage that was done. Rich will tell you that, like always, my reaction was complete madness and uncontrollable screaming. I literally threw my head back and screamed, “NOOOOOOOO!!!”. I’m so dramatic, I know. When it comes to my kids I LOSE IT!

So, here we were on the living room floor, Aidan is screaming, I’m screaming and Rich’s reaction was shock. We didn’t know what to do. I picked him up and took him to my room where I tried to comfort him while Rich called my brother-in-law, Jeffrey, who is a dentist. About 20 minutes had passed before we were able to get some direction and when we did get a hold of Jeffrey the direction he gave us was not something we imagined he would tell us to do. He said we had 30 minutes to an hour from the time his teeth were knocked out to put his them back in place. WHAT!?!?!? I said, “Rich, let’s find a dentist in our neighborhood.” So, Rich called the bishop and got the number of a dentist in our ward who didn’t answer. Time was ticking and I started to worry that we would miss our window of opportunity to possibly save his teeth. After we failed to get a hold of a neighborhood dentist I resolved to do what I initially thought I absolutely could not do. Rich got Jeffrey back on the phone and he talked me through how to do it. I told Aidan what I was going to do and that it was going to hurt but that he needed to be my strong boy. He was so strong and brave! He screamed and cried but then again, so did I.

What exactly did I do? I took his teeth, which were hanging back into his mouth but still attached and pulled them forward, putting them back into their natural position. Rich then got Jeffrey on facetime so he could see the damage. That is when he told us that his teeth were extruded and that I needed to push them up into his gums. AHHHHHH! Alright! Gotta do what you gotta do, right? So, once again, I did. I think Aidan had instant relief because within a minute or two of screaming bloody murder because of the pain I was inflicting on him, he was back to his normal self and asking for food.

That night, I went to bed completely traumatized and with a heart so full of gratitude that it kept me up for a couple of hours. I was so grateful that Jeffrey was calm and collected and talked me through exactly what I had to do to ease Aidan’s pain and save his teeth(hopefully). I felt so completely helpless. I didn’t know how to help him. Thanks to Jeffrey’s help, Aidan’s teeth checked out with flying colors at the dentist yesterday. We still aren’t sure if he is going to be able to keep them, only time will tell. There is a possibility that they will die, get infected, not tighten up and if any of these happen then he will have to lose them but so far they look fine. Here’s hoping!

Pictures. I obviously didn’t take a picture during the chaotic 30 minutes or even any that night. The next morning I took this picture of a happy, smiling boy:

photo(51)

photo(49)

I took this when we were leaving the dentist. I love how he has his own unique way of holding my hand. My thumb always has to be between his pinkie and his ring finger.

photo(50)

Love my boy so much and I’m so happy that he is okay. Wow, what a night!

1 comments:

Amy said...

I am so glad you guys made threw that night ok. Poor Aidan and poor you guys! Being a mom is traumatizing sometimes! Those pictures just look like OUCH!

Post a Comment

Drop me a line!

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed