May 26, 2013

3 Teeth Later…

The day has come and gone. My poor little guy is toothless. 4 days ago I took Aidan in to the dentist for his scheduled appointment to have 3 teeth pulled. I was a nervous wreck and he was calm…before the storm. I had been preparing him for 2 weeks for this moment and would reassure him whenever he would tell me he was nervous. I, honestly, didn’t know exactly what to expect but it was so much worse than I thought it was going to be.
photo
This is a video of him before we went in to the dentist. He was in such a cheery mood!

I could tell it wasn’t going to be a walk in the park by the assistants expression when I told her I didn’t want him to be gassed. Last time Aidan was put under his breathing was extremely labored for 2 hours after coming out. It was such a terrifying experience, I didn’t want to risk something like that happening again, especially not in a dentist’s office.
So, the first thing they did is put a numbing gel on his gums. He screamed bloody murder at that! Oh man, this was going to be bad. I have to let it be known that Aidan is dramatic. He has always been but even I was surprised at his screaming with the numbing gel. I asked the assistant if this meant he wouldn’t feel anything from here on out and she said that he would still feel pain because the top front teeth are the most sensitive. Great.
After a few minutes the dentist came in and gave him 10 million shots in his gums. I watched as I held his arms down. I felt his pain:(
10 minutes later the dentist came back and stuck what looked like a flat head screw driver in between two of his teeth and wiggled it to loosen then. Aidan screamed at the top of his lungs and I squeezed my eyes shut tight while holding his arms and legs down. Usually, I will watch whatever is done to my kids because I feel like I need to so that I can understand what they have gone through. This time I couldn’t. His screams were enough to convince me that he was in terrible pain and would need lots of love and comfort from his mommy when it was all over. It wasn’t more than a minute before I decided to look up and watched as the final tooth was pulled. They stuffed his mouth with gauze and I picked him up and snuggled him while he sobbed.
It was such a horrible, traumatic experience for him. I felt so bad. We sat there for about 3-5 minutes when the assistant came over and gave him 3 tokens for the toy machines. He stopped crying instantly! That is when I got these pictures:
photo-1 
photo-2
Are these not the saddest eyes you’ve ever seen?
photo-3
After it was all done, we went to pick up the girls from my friend, Jessica’s house. Aidan loves Jessica’s son, Reese and actually cheered up a bit when I told him where we were going. When we got there, Aidan went straight to the back with a mouth full of gauze, to play with Reese. He seemed to be doing ok so we stayed for a little over an hour and when I went to check on him he was jumping on the trampoline! I was shocked at how quickly he bounced back. The dentist had mentioned that he would probably need some Tylenol when we got home but I asked him if his mouth hurt and he said, “Nope! Not even a little bit!”
He hasn’t complained once since having his teeth pulled:) I was so worried about what he would look like without teeth but I actually think he looks and sounds super cute!
DSC_1841
The Tooth Fairy almost forgot to visit but thank goodness she remembered and gave him 12 quarters! She could have given him 3 dollar bills but she knows that Aidan thinks 4 quarters is so much cooler than 1 dollar!
All is well that ends well, right?

1 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh my! Why did he need his teeth pulled? Poor little dude!

Post a Comment

Drop me a line!

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed