May 17, 2013

Mexican Riviera Cruise!

And THIS is exactly why I shouldn’t have taken complete advantage of my 7 day opportunity to relax and do nothing! I knew that if I didn’t take a few minutes to blog on the cruise I would never get to it. Here I am, over 2 weeks later, finally sitting down to post about the most amazing getaway that feels like such a distant memory. Funny how life gets so dang busy, huh?!? Better late than never!
On April 19th we picked up Rich’s parents from the airport. They were so incredible to fly out here to spend time with their favorite grandkids(hehe) while Rich and I went on our 7 day cruise to the Mexican Riviera. Mom is the best and actually kept a record of what they did and special moments from each day. A blog post from her will soon follow:D
We flew out to LA the very next morning on Saturday the 20th and boarded our ship, the Sapphire Princess, around 1:00. (P.S. I was so lazy the first couple of days I didn’t even pick up my Nikon, thus the phone and point and shoot pics)
photo
We ate lunch in the dinning room, which was delicious and then Rich wanted to go to a raffle that they were having at the spa. I humored him even though I personally thought it was silly. We took a quick tour of the spa and then filled out our cards for the raffle. There were 3 drawings for 3 prizes, a $150 spa credit, a $175 spa credit and the grand prize was a $200 spa credit…
photo-1
Haha! What are the chances? We used our spa credit on a couples massage.
The first 2 days on the ship were sea days so we had a ton of time to lie out on the deck by the pool and read.
Note To Self: Yes, you are Mexican but that doesn’t mean that you will not burn. Take your white hubby’s advice next time and wear sunscreen.
Rich did 2 long runs our first 2 days and I didn’t mind because I wasn’t taking care of the kids! haha! The dinners were great! Always delicious. We shared a table with some great people, 2 of which only spoke Spanish so it was perfect!
P1050395
Our first port was Puerto Vallarta where we had booked an excursion to a place called Las Caletas. We took a 40 minute boat ride to get there.
P1050399P1050400
P1050401P1050403
Las Caletas is a private beach that was basically set up to pamper it’s guests. The workers are brought in by boat every day because there is no other way to get there.
As we were got closer all of the workers stood and waved to welcome us.
P1050407
This lady on our boat started blowing some kind of special whistle and a parrot swooped in, right over my head and landed on her arm. So awesome!
P1050417
Serenaded
P1050420
Treated to delicious tacos first thing
P1050422
Everything was included: the food, canoes, paddle boards, constant drink service on the beach…it was heaven. Rich got a massage there that was amazing. While he was getting a massage I was enjoying the beach, pineapple juice and the fresh guacamole and chips:)
P1050430 P1050434
Lunch time: Best lemonade and ceviche ever.
P1050433
The ride back
P1050456
The next day was also a port day in Cabo San Lucas. We had a glass bottom boat excursion booked there. They took us to the most awesome beach where Rich snorkeled and I chilled under an umbrella.
DSC_1597
Back from snorkeling
DSC_1601
Then we walked over to Lover’s beach where there is a cave that they say if you go in as two you come out as 3. Haha!
P1050478
P1050483
DSC_1628
There were a ton of people hounding all of the tourists trying to get them to take their excursion. There was this one guy that said to us as we were walking by, “Wanna go to lovers beach?” We politely declined and he said, “Already been there, huh!” I had to laugh! It was a good one!
One more funny moment: Another one of those guys asked Rich if he wanted to donate to the “Feed a Mexican Fund”. I told him he already feeds one. Hahaha! I cracked myself up;)
Us with the famous “El Arco” behind us.
DSC_1558
P1050496
My Pharmacist in a Mexican Pharmacy
P1050498
Every city we went to we were sure to stop and enjoy the tacos and coke.
DSC_1644
DSC_1634
DSC_1635 DSC_1637
DSC_1641
DSC_1640
Poor guy, I think I embarrass him sometimes. Deep down inside I know he likes my nerdiness.
DSC_1642
Truth is, we were made for each other…
DSC_1651 DSC_1653
That was a great port! We were exhausted from all of the fun and were ready for our yummy formal dinner that night back on the ship.
DSC_1659
Lobster tail and shrimp
DSC_1668
Our server shelled it for us and everything! P.S. That is NOT our wine;)
DSC_1669
After another day at sea we landed at our last port, Ensenada! First stop…..TACOS!
The restaurant was called “La Comadre”
DSC_1684
DSC_1675
They were DIVINE!
DSC_1678
A local man on the street recommended this place and we quickly realized that this is where the locals eat. Jackpot!
DSC_1681
Rich made his a little too spicy.
DSC_1682
After tacos we did some shopping.
DSC_1687
This next experience may have very well been the highlight of our entire cruise. After stopping to get a paleta (popsicle) we headed towards the plaza just to chill for a bit. The plaza is where all of the vendors walk around trying to get tourists to buy their trinkets. The vendors mostly consisted of young kids that should be in school and women with small children.  Out of the corner of my eye I could see this woman rounding up her 4 little kids and sending them our way to beg. I know that that’s how they get you but honestly I don’t really care. The reality is that we have soooo much more than they have and we should give to them.
These two little cuties came with their cup to beg for money and stole my heart!
DSC_1688
We chatted with them for a bit and then they ran off to their mother. I just kept thinking that I so badly wanted to buy them a sucker or something so Rich and I went back to the store and bought 5 suckers to hand out to the little kids. We found these two sweet girls again and gave them each a sucker and before we knew it were swarmed by little kids that also wanted a sucker! I sent Rich back to the store to get a few more suckers and my incredible husband with a heart the size of Texas came back with two grocery bags filled with bottles of water, soda, candy and cookies!
DSC_1701
DSC_1703
DSC_1705
There is no better feeling than to give to the poor. After he handed everything out they all thanked us so much and we could really see the gratitude in their eyes. We got on our bus which was going to take us back to our ship and just sat there looking out the window, watching them all as they took a break from working to enjoy their cold drinks. All of the little kids were munching on their treats. Best experience ever!
Soon we were back on our ship and our cruise was coming to an end.
DSC_1708
But not before we enjoyed a “Movie Under The Stars” on the top deck of the ship! That night we watched “Life of Pi”
DSC_1717 DSC_1720
Before we knew it we were back home struggling to get the kids to smile for a final picture with Grandma and Grandpa.
DSC_1736
What a week and what great memories. That was just our week though, I can’t wait to post all about “The Great Grandparenting Adventure” by Grandma Baker!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Drop me a line!

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed