April 9, 2012

Serving Sam

A couple months ago I was in a big rush to get to the gym for my Zumba class. It was 6:15pm and Zumba was going to start at 6:30. Rich was late getting home that day so I was all stressed that I wasn’t going to make it in time. As I rushed out the door and hopped in Rich’s car I noticed a little old man slooooowly making his way towards the building next to mine. He walked with a cane and was tugging behind him a little cart on wheels filled with groceries. I sat there in my car for a few seconds, torn between asking him if I could help him and being late to Zumba or just zipping off and maybe making it in time. I’m ashamed to say that I even had that debate in my head but I am forever grateful that I made the right decision.

I jumped out of the car and ran over to my slow moving friend and the conversation went a little like this:

“Hi! Can I help you with that?”

“You sure can!”

“Great! What’s your name?”

“Sam”

“Nice to meet you Sam. My name is Jessica and I live in the building next door.”

We went on to have a very brief conversation about where he is from and I told him where I am from. He had such a kind demeanor about him. I was so happy that I had taken the opportunity to serve him. I drove to Zumba with a smile on my face:)

Life went on and every time I would see Sam’s car I would wonder about him and his life. A couple weeks ago I even saw him in his kitchen cooking dinner. I said to myself, “Hi Sam!”.

This past Thursday, the kids and I met Rich after work to go out for dinner. When we got home our entire parking lot was police taped off and there were several police cars and even a Crime Scene vehicle. When we walked up to our condo I noticed that there were several officers surrounding Sam’s car. All of the doors were open and they were taking pictures. My heart sunk.

Sam’s car is the silver Matrix on the far left.

image

I later learned that Sam had taken his life. He was 97 years old, alone, and suffered from unbearable pain in his legs. He just could not take the pain anymore. I’ve spent the past few days feeling guilty. Why didn’t I do more? I knew he was alone, why didn’t I swing by every now and then and drop off a cookie or a cupcake? Just let him know that I cared. I can’t help but think that people are placed in our path for a reason. Did I do all that I was meant to do? We are here to love and serve each other and that is what should always be at the forefront of our minds.

I’m so grateful to have had that brief encounter with Sam. It has changed the way I will think of those that I will serve in the future. I think I will live my life a little differently because of Sam.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Jessica you are such a good person, and I am so glad that you are my friend. :-)

Alisha said...

What Brittany said! What a sweet experience. You have no need for guilt. You did exactly what the spirit told you to do that day.

Amy said...

ummm I'm totally tearing up! What a neat experience-no need for guilt. Sam is in a much better, pain free place. But what a neat lesson to follow the spirit--think how much worse you would feel if you had not helped him that day. Thanks for sharing!

America said...

Wow... Thank you for sharing. Thanks for your example. I too could be better. This is a good lesson for myself as well!

M. said...

oh dear. YOu got to know him though, and put a smile on his face, i'm sure. So, so sad though...

Marianne said...

Thanks for sharing this profound story. What a beautiful lesson for all of us. We need to slow down our lives and be more aware of others around us. I am so glad you took the time to meet him that day.

Post a Comment

Drop me a line!

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed