April 25, 2012

Worry

If there is anything that is true about motherhood its that as a mother you worry. My worrying began when I found out I was pregnant with Aidan, over 4 years ago. Isn’t it funny that it starts as soon as you know they are there. I worried about his development in the womb. I worried about the food I was eating and even the air I was breathing! Then, he was born. I don’t think there are words to describe how much I worried about my baby boy. Obviously his initial fight for his life shook me to my core. After he came home I was so overwhelmed, stressed and WORRIED about him that I would literally wake up standing by my bed thinking I had him in my arms and when I would come to I would go into this crazy panic looking for him. He was, of course, in his basinet right next to me but that was just how sleep deprived, delirious and worried I was.
When Aidan was a baby I cried AT LEAST once a day. I struggled several times a day trying to teach him how to eat. Something that came so naturally and easy for most babies was something he had to go to therapy for. I worried that he would never be able to eat and that he would have to be fed through the g-tube for the rest of his life. He didn’t:)
Today, Aidan is almost 5 years old and guess what, I’m still worried. When I started writing this post I was in tears. A concern that I’ve had for a couple of years was just confirmed…actually I should say I just accepted it. Aidan has a receptive speech disorder. It’s not a devastating diagnosis but don’t we all want nothing but the best for our kids? I’m convinced and have read several articles and studies that find a correlation between children that have been put under anesthesia and learning disabilities. I counted a minimum of 12 times that Aidan was put under. I just want to cry. It was the price he had to pay to be here with us.
image
Aidan’s teacher encouraged me to have him evaluated earlier in the year. I had him evaluated and the therapist confirmed our suspicions. Suddenly everything made so much sense. All of those times I got so frustrated with him when he could not give an appropriate response to a simple question even after telling him how to respond over and over and over again. It clicked but I was still in denial. I thought that all he needed was school and that it would resolve itself. It has gotten A LOT better and he has progressed so much but today I realized that it is still there and will probably always be there. This is yet another battle that he, with Rich and I by his side, will have to fight.
I need to clarify. I was in tears because I was angry with myself. I was helping Aidan with his homework and I lost my patience. I’m so disappointed with myself that often I am not the mother that my sweet boy needs me to be for him. It makes him sad when I get frustrated with him. Today was different. I have completely accepted his disability and WILL be all that he deserves.
image

3 comments:

M. said...

clearly I'm an outsider, but you're a good mom and he'll be just fine. Think of all the really intelligent, successful people in life... they all had something they had to overcome when they were little. I think challenges when you're little make for the most well balanced, compassionate, cool adults. :)We dont expect parent's to be perfect, just loving, which you are!

Jess said...

Thank you for that, Mel. You are such a fountain of wisdom. You are so right. Sometimes it's hard to look at the big picture and see that someday he will be an adult and the challenges he faces throughout his life will mold him into an incredible person. Just need a little reminder every now and then to expand my perspective:D

Amy said...

Handsome little Aidan! You know your a good mom and no mom is perfect. It's why we are here right to learn-I am constantly frustrated with myself and my patience sometimes. I often think that is why children are so quick to forgive and forget. They love us and we love them. In my moments of impatience I try to remember to tell them sorry with a big hug and kiss. You both are great parents and Aidan came to the perfect family!

Post a Comment

Drop me a line!

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed