June 15, 2011

What’s working for me

I mentioned in a couple of previous posts that I’ve been struggling with “depression” the past few months. I put quotation marks because it doesn’t always feel like depression. I think that is a common misconception. Most days I’m fine and dandy, just crazy tired! Other days I have little motivation to do much of anything and every once in a while I’ve felt down right depressed. I did decide that I was going to try everything in my control to dig myself out of this hole without taking prescription meds and I even spoke to my doctor about my game plan of which he is very supportive of. Want to hear it? Here it is:

*1st and foremost, I’ve accepted that it is depression. I was in denial for a little while because I didn’t like the image of self pity and ingratitude that I though the word would cast on me. Lesson I’ve learned? It’s ok. It happens to A LOT of people and it doesn’t mean we are wimps, it just means we have a lot on our plates and that’s how our body is handling the stress.

*2nd my AMAZING husband has become super dad/husband. He is stepping it up and making it possible for me to have a little more me time and even spoiling me a bit:)

*3rd I’m joining 24 hour fitness!! I am SO excited about this one! I’ve been doing a 14 day trial and taking the Zumba class at night…LOVE IT! We are gonna fork out the money because it is so worth it for me to get plenty of exercise. Also, they have a kids club there where I can drop my kids off and they can play and color and have a great time while I work out! Can’t wait!

*4th I’ve developed an early bedtime routine. I try to be sure to be in bed by 10:30 or earlier if I get sleepy, preferably after taking a shower and drinking my herbal sleepytime tea:)

*Last but definitely NOT LEAST~ I’ve been taking this:

DSC_3347

Let me just tell you, this has made ALL of the difference! I would absolutely recommend it to anybody who is suffering from depression. Now I’m not naive enough to think that this is the magical cure for everybody. If you are struggling with exhaustion and the occasional mood swing I think it could work but for those who have a life long battle that they are fighting, I really don’t know, but I think it’s worth a shot.

Doing all of these things has made me feel “normal” again and I’m just so grateful every day to feel good.  That doesn’t mean I haven’t still had bad days. I was quite the grouch yesterday, but then again I guess that is normal, right? Anyway, I just wanted to share all of this incase there is somebody else that could use what I’ve learned in the past few weeks:)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jess-
I just wanted to thank you for posting your blogs. I was google-ing "G-Tube removal surgery" because my 1 1/2 year old twin boys both had G-tubes from being extremely premature and have to have their stomas surgically closed. One has a trach and the other was a little luckier and only had a paralyzed vocal chord among many other complications and surguries they both had to go through during their 4 1/2 month stay in the NICU.
So when your blog came up, I was comforted to see that I am not alone. I now know what to expect through yet another surgery. I also have hope that one day my son with the trach can have his removed as well. (no date set yet but we are hopefully only a few months away). Do you have any advice or info about that procedure? I am curious about how other kids with trachs go through that removal process. It looks like Aiden's scar has healed very well. I am glad to see all of your kids looking happy and healthy. You are a great Mom and from one stressed out Mother to another, thank you! It's worth all the sleepless nights, ups and downs to have two beautiful faces to wake up to in the morning.
-Tiffany

Jess said...

Tiffany! Thank you for your comment! I have no way of contacting you please e-mail me at jessbaker321@gmail.com

Post a Comment

Drop me a line!

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed