June 6, 2011

Granddad McKinley

It has been a rough couple of months for the Baker side of our family. I can’t even describe how badly I wish I could be there for them during all of these trials that they have had to face. Recently, Rich’s parents house burned down, dad's mom passed away and just a few days ago Granddad McKinley, mom’s dad, passed away. He was such an amazing person. Not only do I know I will miss him, I already do. Unfortunately, we didn’t get to spend a lot of time with him but he was a big part of our lives.

image

He flew all the way out from California to come to our wedding in Illinois. I remember the night before the wedding was the 1st time I met him. Rich was so excited for me to meet his Grandpa and I knew why just seconds after I met him. He gave me the biggest hug and after talking and getting to know him a bit he went on to tell Rich all about the research he had done on Nauvoo, Illinois. He was excited to learn about Nauvoo’s rich history and even showed us some pamplets he had picked up. He loved to learn. That is such an admirable characteristic that I hope to instill in my children. What better example to follow than that of their Great Grandpa McKinley.

image

He was a man of many accomplishments but I think he would agree that his greatest accomplishment was his family. He LOVED his family. It was so very apparent to me how much he loved his children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren. Even from a distance he made sure that he was ever so present in each and every family members life. He never missed any of my little families birthday’s, always making sure to send a card that would arrive in time. How did he keep track of the dozens of birthdays you ask? A spread sheet! Seriously, Grandpa McKinley, you are AWESOME!

He never forgot about the individual. When Aidan and Arabella were born and were in the NICU, he called. It really meant so much to me. Often people call during the 1st week but few are there letting you know that they have not forgotten you after 6 weeks. He was such a special, caring man.

image

I am going to miss his Christmas presents. I know that must sound so self centered and worldly but if you knew Grandpa McKinley, it’s not. What an honorable, selfless, giving and CHARITABLE man he was. Every Christmas he would give every single family member a card that explained that he made a donation in their name to Heifer International that would provide those that are less fortunate, around the world, with the opportunity to become self-reliant. THAT is what I will remember most about him. When I think of him I will remember what a big heart he had for the less fortunate.

Matthew 25:40

“Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.”

How could I know so much about somebody that I hardly spent any time with? His actions. He didn’t just talk the talk, he walked the walk! We love you Granddad. We already miss you but know that we will see you again. Thank you for the lessons. Lots of love from our little clan.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Drop me a line!

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed